This competition has now closed.
In February 2018, Mills & Boon is launching its hottest series yet, Mills & Boon Dare. There will be four romances published a month, all pushing the boundaries of heat within a romantic relationship. They are sexy, passionate, bold—and definitely explicit! – and we can’t wait to introduce them to the world.
This brand-new series also means brand new writing opportunities! We are looking to acquire more UK authors for Mills and Boon Dare, and more UK set storylines. So, if you like writing hot, and you’re a UK-based author, this could the chance for you!
What we’re looking for in Mills & Boon Dare…
- The heat level for Mills and Boon Dare is explicit and graphic. The hero and heroine should have a powerful sexual and emotional connection.
- We’re looking for authors who have a distinct, memorable voice and write stories with a high level of sexual tension as well as graphic sex.
- We want to read the ultimate alpha hero of all of your sexual fantasies! While billionaires, CEOs and other successful, affluent men are welcome, we are also open to grittier heroes and anti-heroes.
- Heroines are empowered, independent, fun and fearless women who don’t necessarily need a man in their lives—having a man is her choice…and her pleasure!
- Stories must be contemporary. Readers should be swept away by sexual fantasy, even as the characters deal with real world obstacles and challenges in the face of their love.
- These books are not erotica. These are still romances, and we want to see as much emotion and passion between the characters as possible.
- The setting can either be urban (Paris, London, Sydney, Rome) or exotic (the Amalfi Coast, Hawaii, the Caribbean). The setting alone doesn’t make the story sexy but it certainly helps!
- We are open to 3rd person or 1st person point of view. There should be a balance of POV between the hero and heroine.
- A word count of 50,000 means stories must be fast-paced and plot-driven.
We are open to many different story types, though we are not currently considering western-themed, military, sports, small-town romances, paranormal or historicals. We are not interested in age play, bestiality, incest or rape.
Enter our Dare to Write blitz!
This is your chance to get in front of the Mills & Boon Dare editors’ eyes. We will be accepting first chapter submissions for one week only, and guarantee feedback within a month. Read on for more details on this sizzling opportunity….
- The Dare to Write blitz will run from Monday 10th July to Monday 17th July.
- We’re looking for first chapter and synopsis only – no need to have the full manuscript written!
- If we love the voice, we’ll invite you to submit further chapters and work with you on developing your story to its full potential. Please note that requests for additional chapters are not a guarantee of publication.
- Please email DareToWrite@millsandboon.co.uk with your entry. This mailbox will be open from 8am (GMT) 10th July to midnight (GMT) 17th
- No US settings please! Think UK, Australia, Europe…and beyond!
- Only one entry per person
- All entries will receive editorial feedback by midnight (GMT) 18th
- We will not use your chapter entries in any way other than in connection to Dare To Write.
So, we are waiting to hear from you! If are you interested in writing really hot, explicit romances, we’re asking you to write us your sexiest stories, featuring the most passionate sex scenes…if you Dare!